Mathematics is all about numbers and arithmetic, unbending accuracy and rules. Mathematics is an innate ability. Mathematics has become one of the most important subjects in the school curriculum during this century. As modern societies have increased in complexity and as that complexity has accompanied rapid technological development, so the teaching of mathematics has come under increased scrutiny. It’s basically difficult for a student and so too much should not be expected. But still, all the students should know it’s basic. Before the mathematics learning was given by teachers to a class of children in the privacy of their classroom in School. But nowadays to excel or clear the maths subject, the students choose to attend tuition. To benefit these students, in Singapore Math tuition centre are increasing in number. The increasing scope and influence of mathematics in other technologies are the reason for this change among the students.
What is Mathematics?
- Mathematics is not just arithmetic.
- Mathematics helps in problem-solving. As it takes a long time to solve a problem. Mathematics engages the student in thinking variety of ideas and improves their skills.
- Mathematics is an activity which includes describing, classifying and explaining patterns in data, number and even by pattern itself.
- Mathematics is a language which used to communicate about patterns.
- Mathematics is nothing more than ‘doing Maths’. But it is more than solving problems, as it involves thinking, observing, testing and observation of pattern and results.
- Mathematics can be a path to independent thinking. As it makes even the young child, to think a solution in different ways for the same problem.
- Mathematics helps to expand one’s collection of related ideas and knowledge base.
- Mathematics is just useful for everyone in every field.
Characteristics of Mathematics:
The following are some of the characteristics of Mathematics:
• Generalisation and classification
• Mathematical language and symbolism
• Precision and accuracy
• Logical sequence
The learners should have an understanding of mathematics by thinking about their own meaning through their increasing levels of abstraction, through their own personal experiences, and by various understandings. Students should become competent and use the mathematics regularly, with their own way of thinking. The concept of seeing it as a series of facts and equations to be memorized should be changed among the students. Most students should be taught the mathematical knowledge and reasoning skills needed to succeed in college. The place value system and whole number arithmetic are the basis for school mathematics and it should be the subject of instruction from early grades. To make students clear about these concepts, besides school students attend the tuition centre. And for Primary math tuition centre, Singapore has many numbers of centres all around. In every grade, the mathematics subject needs to be mainly focused on a small number of topics to develop the students’ to master in the core topics through computation, problem-solving and logical reasoning. Students who are planning to take for a Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline should concentrate more on mathematics track in high school which helps them to start calculus with the better understanding when they enter college.